Single visit crowns (CEREC)
Conventional crowns typically require two or more appointments for preparation and insertion. These visits are scheduled 2-3 weeks apart to allow time for fabrication at an external dental lab. However, at Fine Smiles Dental we have invested in the latest CAD/CAM and CEREC technology which enables our dentists to provide our patients with high-quality and natural crowns in a single visit.
When to consider a crown
A crown is a restoration that covers, or “caps” a tooth to restore it to its normal shape and size and offers a long-term solution to restore the function of your teeth and enhance the appearance of your smile. Crowns are designed to protect, strengthen and improve the appearance of teeth that are:
- Heavily restored with large deteriorating fillings
- Root canal treated and are more susceptible to fractures
- Cracked or heavily broken down
- Replaced by implants and require a crown
- Long term durability — Compared to large tooth-coloured fillings, a crown provides 360o coverage of a tooth and therefore decreases the risk of cracks and fractures on an already compromised tooth. This also provides you with more confidence when eating and chewing
- Better aesthetics — Porcelain provides a more natural appearance that more closely mimics the translucency of a tooth
- Convenience — Compared to conventional crowns, CEREC crowns can be completed in a single visit. Placement of a temporary crown, which can sometimes de-bond prior to completion of the final crown, is therefore not required
- Better comfort — Most patients find dental impressions to be a rather uncomfortable experience. With CEREC, 3D digital scanning is used to take a “digital impression” of your tooth, which offers more comfort
What to expect
All of our dentists are highly experienced in the use of CAD/CAM and CEREC technology. Prior to the preparation of the tooth, the area will first be anesthetised to ensure the process is a comfortable one. Once the tooth has been prepared, the dentist will use our chairside scanning machine to capture a digital impression of your teeth and bite. The latest software will then be utilised to design a natural-looking crown that is perfectly fitting.
The custom-designed crown will then be fabricated immediately using our inhouse milling machine, removing the need to have it fabricated at an external laboratory. It will then be fitted to your tooth and you will leave with a strong, well-protected tooth without the need of traditional moulds or a temporary crown.